Sep 26, 2011

2011 September

2011 September
September 04 -  Rev. Zambolis Sawkmie
September  11 - Arthur Pazo
September  18 - Arthur Pazo
September  25 -  Arthur Pazo
*Holy Communion conducted by Rev. P. Stephen Lepcha


September 26, 2011

Sikkim Chief Minister inspecting earthquake damage
Last week, on the eve of Sunday, September 18, 2011, all of Sikkim was struck by a devastating earthquake that resulted in the loss of many lives and the destruction of vital road-links as well as properties. It wasn't the magnitude (6.8-6.9 and we’ve witnessed similar intensities of earthquakes back in the mid 1980’s and again in 2006) but more likely, it was the duration of this quake that spurred the destruction as it lasted between 30 to 40 seconds. Long enough to scare the wits out of our minds and long enough as well to strike the fear in our minds that were doomed – that the end of our lives was at nigh.


Human lives are fragile. Not only can we be struck by bricks, boulders, concrete, metal or bullets and bombs and any other solid objects to snuff the life out of us but there is the likelihood that we may also succumb to the failure of our bodily systems at anytime. Perchance that it be so, are we ready to face our Maker?


What were my thoughts during this brief moment that terrorized the minds of so many around? I could hear people screaming all around outside my window as if the end of the world was at hand! I had just completed replying to an email and then decided to shut down the computer as the room began to shake. And as I switched off the lights and power to the computer, I said, “Lord, I commend myself into Thy Hands.” Was I scared? I’d be lying if I said wasn’t, but again I’ll honestly say that The Lord instilled enough courage within me to remain calm and composed. My heartbeat didn’t race! I just walked over and stood beneath the cross-beam of a room (remembering the advice for a secure spot in the event of earthquakes) and then stood waiting for the concrete room around me to give way. Praise the Lord that it didn’t when all was over!


We are born in sin. Our minds are wrought with sin in spite of all our efforts to remain sin-free. That is an accepted reality. The little that we as ordinary humans can do is to look up to our Saviour, Lord Jesus Christ, accept His redeeming grace, accept Him into our lives, and as much as possible, “Serve Him.” Be not ashamed of Him - this is very important, and practically, this means that we should Stand Up of Jesus in every given opportunity and time. And then, we can rest assured that He will receive us in His Heavenly Kingdom when our journey on Earth is over.    

No comments:

Post a Comment